Marinos Koutsomichalis is a media artist, scholar and creative technologist. He was born in Athens, GR (1981) and has since lived and worked in various cities around the world. His interests comprise post-humanism, materialism, computational aesthetics, (big) data in/as art, cybernetics, post-digital objecthood, and DIWO (Do-It-With-Others) approaches to art and education. The most persistent themes in his artistic corpus are self-erasure and the post-self. He strives for contextual and geographical disparity so that the working tactics, materials and technologies his projects pivot on are ever-renovated. Accordingly, he has publicly presented his work, pursued projects, led workshops, and held talks worldwide more than 150 times and in all sorts of milieux: from leading museums and acclaimed biennales, to industrial sites, churches, project-spaces, academias, symposia, research institutions, underground venues, and squats. He has held research positions at the University of Turin (IT), and the Norwegian University for Science and Technology (Trondheim, NO), and has taught at the University of Wolverhampton (Birmingham, UK), the Technical University of Crete (Rethymnon, GR) and the Contemporary Music Research Centre (Athens, GR). He is responsible for numerous academic publications, for a series of music albums and for a book. He is the founder of ‘Ubique Media’—a company offering ad-hoc software/hardware solutions for media artists. He has a PhD in Electronic Music and New Media (De Montfort University, GB) and a MA in Composition with Digital Media (University of York, GB).
contact: me [at] marinoskoutsomichalis [dot] com.
- Bozar Centre for Fine Arts (exhibition). Brussels, BE.
- Contemporary Art Festival Sesc_Videobrasil (exhibition). São Paulo, BR.
- Documenta (performance/commission). Athens, GR.
- Transmediale (exhibition/performance/workshop). Berlin, DE.
- Ars Electronica (comission). Linz, AT.
- WRO Media Art Biennale (exhibition). Wrocław, PL.
- Athens Concert Hall (Megaron). Athens, GR.
- The Barbican Centre (software). London, GB.
- Greek National Museum of Contemporary Art (exhibition). Athens, GR.
- Fondazione Giorgio Cini (exhibition). Venice, IT.
- University of Turin (research fellowship). Turin, IT.
- Norwegian University for Science and Technology (post-doc). Norway, NO.
- Holotype Editions (LP). Athens, GR.
- Onassis Cultural Centre (exhibition/performance). Athens,GR.
- Swedish National Centre for Electroacoustic Music and Sound-art (EMS)(residency). Stockholm, SE.
- Danish International Visiting Arts program (residency). Copenhagen, DK.
- Fylkingen (performance). Stockholm, SE.
- Entr’acte (CD). London, GB.
Selected Press Quotes
- ‘Ereignis is like conceptual art created by machines to taunt us with our own mortality‘ (Russell Cuzner, The Quietus)
- ‘a switch concept for notions of time – functional and dysfunctional, and as such tries to act as an anthropological operator for cultural techniques of temporality’ (Jussi Parikka, Machinology)
- ‘One of those releases made to be played endlessly, day in day out’ (Massimo Ricci, Brain Dead Eternity)
- ‘Koutsomichalis slides his primitive building blocks alongside one another, letting them thrum and squirm, merge and clash, and so setting in motion a haze of unruly overtones’ (Chris Sharp, The wire)
- ‘avec une attention au détail accrue, avec cette impression de pouvoir observer les vies minuscules du son en train de se faire [..] un discours unique, une ligne, mais d’une grande complexité qui ne paraît jamais plus agitée que, paradoxalement, dans ses moments les plus statiques’ (Kasper Toeplitz, Prèsent Continu)
- ‘Powerful in all its roughness but also in all it’s silence it forces itself upon the listener and pierce in your head. Great!‘ (Frans de Waard, Vital Weekly)
- ‘Maximum psycho-acoustic rewards’ (Ron Schepper, Textura)